The Confucius Institute U.S. (CIUS) Center is seeking a part-time (19 hours/week) Digital Media Project Assistant to assist in developing and launching social media platforms as a part of a Chinese language education project. The Project Assistant will report directly to the Executive Director with close supervision from the External Communications Associate. The Project Assistant should be committed to supporting the strategic development and growth of the digital media platforms while being comfortable working in a collaborative, team-oriented, work environment.
To support and better understand the needs of Chinese language learners across the United States, the CIUS Center is preparing to develop new Chinese language education-focused social media platforms. These platforms will exist separately from the Confucius Institute brand but will be managed by CIUS Center staff until viability is determined. Over a 6-month project timeline, the Project Assistant will support the CIUS Center staff in developing a brand and strategy for determining our audience, content, and launch. After the platforms are launched, the Program Assistant will also help to determine growth and management strategies.
About the Confucius Institute U.S. Center
The Confucius Institute is an educational program dedicated to the teaching of Mandarin, cultivating Chinese cultural awareness, and facilitating global education. We believe the world is a better place when people of different cultures are able to understand one another and work together. Based in Washington, D.C., the Confucius Institute U.S. Center is a regional center that supports joint efforts among the network of 100+ Confucius Institutes across the country through professional development, strategic communications, and global education opportunities.
As a project-based position, the Digital Media Project Assistant’s primary responsibility will be to support the communications team in developing, launching, and maintaining the above mentioned social media platforms. This includes support to:
- Develop a strategy to launch new accounts and grow a sustainable long-term audience.
- Execute digital media campaigns to grow followers and engagement that integrate seamlessly into the CIUS Center marketing strategy
- Develop meaningful content based on the target audience’s language learning needs and discover areas for platform growth
- Assist in brand development of new accounts
- Create and manage the social media platform editorial calendar while documenting best practices
- Research and propose new creative strategies for increasing social media engagement and value
- Monitor, evaluate, and report platform progress, findings, and insights
- Monitor social media interactions and engagement
- Graduate student or recent graduate with professional experience in digital marketing and communications
- Minimum 1 year of experience with demonstrated success in social media community management, community building, social media strategies, and outreach
- Strong editorial voice and excellent writing skills; familiarity with learning Mandarin Chinese language is a plus
- Strong communication skills, a strong sense of ownership and a self-starter approach, with experience driving projects to completion
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
- Proficient in utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Experience using Sprout Social and Canva are a plus.
- Graphic design and video editing skills desirable
- Passionate about fostering people to people cross-cultural exchanges between China and the United States
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
Employment Dates: February 17, 2020 – TBD
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 12, 2020 citing “Project Assistant” in the subject line.